Practical interview tips

Even though it may seem very simple or obvious, Tom pointed out several practical things that Greg could do to prepare for his interview.
Dress code
- Interviews are typically formal, so it’s important to dress formally. 
- Plan ahead, and make sure you have something appropriate to wear. 
- Don’t wait until the day of the interview to find suitable clothing.

Getting there 
- Always confirm the exact address and location of your interview. 
- How long will it take you to get there and how are you going to get there? 
- It’s best to arrive a little early for your interview; about 15 minutes early is about right.

Etiquette 
- You want to make a good impression on the day. 
- When you go into the interview room, introduce yourself and shake hands with the interviewers. 
- Try to remember to sit up straight. 
- Make eye contact. 
- Be friendly and be polite.

Details 
- Make a short list of details you’ll need to remember on the day. For example, remind yourself to switch off your mobile phone before going into the interview. 
- It’s useful to bring a notebook and pen with you.

Research
- It’s a good idea to learn as much as you can about the company. 
- Do some research online and, if possible, talk to someone who already works there.

Prepare Answers
-There are key questions that most interviewers ask. They’re designed to find out what type of person you are, and what kinds of things you’re good at doing. 
- It’s very important to plan your answers in advance.

Have you prepared for an interview like this? Do you have any more advice or practical tips to add to this list?
At the presentation of yourself, I would answer talking about my professional life (education, certificates acquired, postgraduate formation if I have) and describing my skills for the job they propose. 
Other questions are, for example: 
1. Where did you work last time? 
2. What was your role in your last job? 
3. How many times do you resist at stress? 
4. Why do you think to be the ideal candidate for this position? 
5. How the working environment is important to you? 
6. What things do you do well?

What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? What was the last mistake you did at work? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What do you dislike about your current job? What are you going to bring to the job if you’re successful?
Hi Greg
As promised, here are a few examples of some questions they might ask you at the interview and ideas on how to answer them. Get practising!
Tell me about yourself. 
You mustn’t talk about your family and life history. You must refer to your job-related skills and qualities.
What do you know about the type of work we do? 
You must show you know a lot about the company, so it’s important to do lots of research before the interview.
What things do you do well? 
You have to use this opportunity to talk about your skills and show that you’re the right person to work for them. Note down some ideas before the interview.
What areas do you feel you need to improve? 
You don’t have to talk about anything negative in detail. Try to think about areas you’re already trying to improve. So, you can end in a positive way like: ‘I’m definitely getting better’, or ‘I’m going to do a course later this month.’
Hope this helps!

When the interviewer asks you to talk about yourself, you’ll use adjectives that show the positive parts of your personality that make you suitable for the role.
Look at this list of positive adjectives - do you know the meaning of all of them?
reliablemotivated
efficientflexible
persistentcreative
friendlycalm
hard-workingpatient
 I’m creative. For example, when we had difficulty tracking orders in my current job, I designed a new spreadsheet to help us see exactly when orders were placed and processed.
Think of some sentences about yourself. Use an adjective and give examples. Like this:
  • I’m persistent. For example, …
  • I’m a flexible person. For example, …
  • I’m very patient. For example, …
  • I’m an efficient worker. For example, …
    So can you tell me why you think you're suitable for this job? Yes. Well, first of all, I consider myself a very creative person. So I'm good at solving problems. That's useful in any business. And also, I think that for this job you need to be patient and work well with people, which is something I do well. In what way? Well, people always say how patient and polite I am. These are good qualities to have when trying to fix problems that often cause stress to others. Can you give me an example? Of course.

    Just last week, the internet stopped working in the office. It was nothing too complicated to fix, but I needed some time. One colleague got really annoyed and was quite rude to me, but I just remained friendly. I see. I believe it's important to be calm in situations like that. It doesn't help to get stressed and annoyed. And it worked. Soon my colleague was thanking me with a smile. You said earlier you were good at solving problems. Can you tell me more about that? Of course. I love a challenge and I hate to fail. When I start working on something, I like to do it well and finish it. My colleagues know I'm reliable and always get the job done.

    And how about deadlines? Are you able to meet tight deadlines? Oh, yes. I'm a fast worker, but I'm also always careful to do the job well. That's good to know.

Comments

Popular Posts