Why It's Good to Travel Alone



  • Transcription of video

  • A lot of people who might like to take a trip are intimidated by the idea, either afraid of being lonely or afraid for their safety.
  • But every day around the world, travelers just like you are exploring places by themselves.
  • These are some trips you can take:
  1. You can take a train someplace new.
  2. The train journey itself can make for a thoughtful solo trip. It's comfortable, reflective and even if you don't speak to anyone, you have the view to keep you company.
  3. Go to a part of Asia where you don't speak the language or understand the culture. It's like giving yourself voluntary culture shock or visiting an alternate reality. Traveling alone is about breaking out of your comfort zoneand what better place to do that than a country that is completely foreign.
  4.  Go volunteer someplace for a month.
  • Sometimes you want to take a trip by yourself, but you don't want to be alone.
  • Well, volunteering can be a great way to meet people and it can be a reminder that it's not just about you. So leave everything behind and be by yourself. Just pack a bag and a camera.
  • Get lost.
  • So, where are you gonna go?

New words:
  1. comfort zone = safely zone
  2. culture shock = feeling of confusion
  3. thoughtful solo /ˈsoʊ.loʊ/:  alone; without other people:a solo performance/flight
  4. intimidated /ɪnˈtɪm.ə.deɪ.t̬ɪd/= frightened/nervous (adj)
  5. volunteer /ˌvɑː.lənˈtɪr/ (n)
  • Questionnaires:
  1. According to the video, why are people intimidated about traveling alone?
    1. because they are used to staying at home
    2. because they are worried about having money
    3. because they are afraid of foreign people
    4. because they are concerned about being safe
  2. What did the speaker suggest if a person doesn't want to be alone during a trip?
    1. live on a train during the trip
    2. register for a foreign language class
    3. volunteer at a place for a month
    4. talk to strangers over the Internet
  3. What does it mean when someone breaks out of his or her "comfort zone"?
    1. The person escapes from the local prison.
    2. The person moves away from familiar places.
    3. The person begins living on the street.
    4. The person sleeps on the floor without pillows.
  1. What things would you like to do if you were to travel alone?
    Well, if I have a chance to travel alone, I will go camping on the beach beacause I really keen on watching sunrise in the  early morning. You know, that moment is extremly fascinating and gorgeous, it's such an eye-opening explosure for everyone. On other hand, I prefer to hear the sounds of waves which crash into rocky shore and breath fresh air on the beach.
  2. Would you rather travel with someone or alone? Why?
    Well, actually, I would travel with my family the best  cause I have lived far away from my family for quite a long time, so now I really wanna spend my spare time with my family and take a lot of memories with them. I know that there are a lot of people they feel so stressed under pressure of loaded work and they wanna to find a new place to stay alone and get laid-back, but in my view, I think that I'm happy when all of my beloved people are happy.
  3. What stops you from doing the things that you really want to do? Why?
    Actually, now I haven't stopped doing something which I really wanna do beause when I wanna do something I often share my idea with my grandma or my mom or my best friend, they would give me a good advice for it. So it's a great thing I will do it or if not I won't. I always respect all of advice from other people and then I will sit down and think about it. Sometimes these advices are not right at all but I can learn somethings from their experiences. 
p/s: from https://www.englishcentral.com/video/24168

Comments

Popular Posts